The Professional 9-day Master Gilding Class with Certificate
Over centuries gilding skills have always been passed on within families with all their secrets jealously guarded.
The Art Gilding Academy is about to change this system to give anybody who wants to learn this ancient craft this golden opportunity.
German Master Gilder Karl Eggert is acknowledged as one of the world’s leading experts on gilding. Under his tutelage, students will gain the benefit of over 50 years of professional gilding experience.
The Professional 9-day Master Gilding Class is designed to give you in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in gilding. It would take years to learn what has been condensed into this unique gilding course.
- There is no prior knowledge required.
- Students graduate from the course with a certificate of competency and a thorough understanding of the art gilding process.
- On completion of the course, students will be able to gild on furniture, frames, artworks, French clocks, as well as statues, cornices or even an entire wall or ceiling.
- Maximum four students per Master Gilding Class.
What you will learn:
Learn traditional & modern gilding techniques
- Special surface preparation – Different substrates need different surface preparations so the end result looks good and the project will last.
- Application of gold and silver leaf, Dutch metal, aluminium and copper leaf.
- Projects include – timber frame, plaster plaque, paper-mache box, glass plate, metal ornament, canvas and 10 boards.
- Patination – Aging with glazes and acids.
- Water gilding (gold burnishing) – Master Class Certificate frame.
Traditional 17th century gilding technique with modern materials
You will be taught the technique of water gilding ( Rolls Royce of gilding), by using gesso and bole, you create a finish as smooth as glass. After the application of gold leaf, the surface is then burnished to sheer brilliance, resembling the look of solid gold. This is an important technique, if you focus on restoration and gilding frames.
- Application of various metal leaves onto flat boards – This technique can be used to gild walls and ceilings.
- Food Gilding – You will learn how to apply gold leaf to food and wine.
Free lifetime membership to the Goldfinger Club
We’ve found that good support is the key to success for many of our students so we’re passionate about making sure they get the most out of this course.
Master Class students will receive lifetime membership to the Goldfinger Club
- Free lifetime ongoing advice for any future projects – phone and email support
- Generous discounts of 20% on all materials and supplies*.
- Opportunity to work with the Art Gilding team on architectural projects
What to wear:
Casual clothing. We will also supply you with an Art Gilding apron.
99-101 Buckingham St.
Surry Hills 2010
Master Gilding Classes are held over a period of nine days, starting on Saturday and finishing on the Sunday of the following week.
Classes start at 10am and finish at 4pm each day.
Your investment is $4598 which includes 9 days of studio learning, all projects, materials and tools used in class.
To secure your place in the class of your choice, a deposit of $500 is required when booking.
Balance is due 2 weeks before the course commences.
Available dates for 2024:
- February 10th-18th (Fully booked)
- March 16th to 24th (Only 1 place left)
- April 13th to 21st
- May 18th to 26th
- June 15th to 23rd
- July 20th to 28th
- August 17th to 25th
- September 14th to 22nd
- October 19th to 27th
- November 9th to 17th
To book your preferred date, click ‘Book a Class’. Then select your desired date and complete the form.
We will contact you to secure your place in the class.